Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Meet Colin Britt: Director of Music for Marquand Chapel



Whether you are someone who will attend Marquand Chapel on a regular basis, someone who attends every once in a while for special occasions, or someone who only ever attends by accidentally wandering in, there is one thing that cannot be denied about Marquand: the music is phenomenal. Partly due to the abundance of talented musicians studying in the Institute of Sacred Music and Yale Divinity School, and partly due to the fervor with which YDS students seem to engage with the music, chapel music is impressive. Colin Britt, better known as the man Dale Peterson would like to be for a day, is the Director of Music for Marquand Chapel, and since he will undoubtedly have some influence over your chapel experience, we wanted to give him a chance to introduce himself before y'all arrive. This will also offer a glimpse at what daily services in Marquand are like, something you can experience and explore further during BTFO.

Colin Britt, bringing music and tuxedos
to the students of Yale Divinity
School 5 days a week.
Q: Who are you? What are you doing here? How would you describe your role(s) on campus?
A: My name is Colin Britt, and I am the Director of Music for Marquand Chapel. My role on campus (and basically, in chapel) is part song-leader, part cantor, part accompanist, part composer, part conductor, and part liturgist. In other words, I'm usually either leading or coordinating music in chapel services, or planning upcoming liturgies with the other members of the Chapel Team.

Q: In the simplest way possible, what is Marquand Chapel all about?
A: We strive to create and sustain a worshipping community in which everyone has a voice, and where everyone is able to participate and learn something about various faith traditions, perhaps including their own. It's always a learning experience (especially for those who are planning or leading worship), and we are always trying to find new ways to open up liturgies and traditions to people who may not be familiar with them. Most importantly, it's a place where we endeavor to make everyone feel welcome.


Q: If you were going to describe the daily Marquand experience in terms of its music, what would you say?
A: Lots and lots of singing! We're SO incredibly blessed to have a community that loves to sing, and is willing to try new ideas. Beyond that, I would say that over the course of a few days, we always aim to feature music from a wide variety of cultures, traditions, and styles. Our regular musical repertoire draws from the work of my predecessor, the incomparable Patrick Evans, who introduced our community to hymns and songs from across the globe. We are proudly continuing his work on a daily basis.

Q: What do you find to be the best and the most difficult parts of your position as Director of Chapel Music?
A: When planning a service, the main question we always ask ourselves is, "Whose voice is missing?" We're always trying to find the right balance of diversity, authenticity, and universality, and finding that mix is a continual challenge, but a very rewarding one.

I'd say that, from a musical standpoint, my biggest challenge is making sure that we are honoring the authenticity of a tradition from which we're drawing, while making sure that the whole congregation is able to participate. This especially means bringing in the talents of our student body, which possesses such a wealth of gifts. We're very lucky to have several wonderful singers and instrumentalists who are willing to share their talents regularly in chapel. For me, that's definitely the most exciting part of my job—handing over leadership to a student who is then able to invite the community into song, far more effectively than I could hope to!

Q: What is the best way for incoming students to get involved in daily chapel? 
A: Show up! Come as often as you can. Every day truly is a different experience, and the only way to learn from and shape the worshipping environment we have is to be present.

Every year I send out an email inviting students to share their musical talents in chapel. I try to rotate through a list of all interested people so that everyone has a chance to play or sing as often as they like—though sometimes I may ask at the last minute!

There are other ways to be involved, including reading scripture, poetry, or prayers, serving communion, baking bread, dancing, helping with setup, and even washing communion linens. There are signup sheets in the hallway outside the chapel for anyone who would like to be involved in these ways. Christa Swenson is our liturgical coordinator and does a wonderful job of recruiting people for these jobs.

Q: If you could give one piece of advice for incoming students as someone who has been a part of several BTFOs, what would it be?
A: DON'T be overwhelmed by the massive amount of information being thrown your way. Take advantage of the great advice you're given, and then choose just a few things you'd like to explore. Sign up for at least one student organization or activity, as you will certainly need an outlet from the studying you'll be doing. And try all of the food! New Haven is a great place to eat.


Q: You were recently named the person that Dale would most like to be for a day! Congratulations! So now the real question is, if YOU could be anyone else on the YDS campus for one day, who would you choose and why?
A: Dale Peterson is certainly high on my list—I'm pretty sure he could wave his arms and candy would magically appear! Not to mention that he is one of the most generous and kind-hearted people I have ever met.

I think, however, my number one person to be is probably Mark Miller. He's a prolific and talented composer and performer, and he works miracles with choirs of any size. I've known him to arrive on a Monday night with no anthem in hand, and he will literally write the music in his head and teach it to a choir at the same time; by 10:30 the next morning, he'll have a thing of beauty no one could have dreamed of. He's also a rock star.

Q: What is your favorite spot in New Haven?
A: It varies somewhat on the time of year, but aside from my neighborhood coffee place (Café Romeo), it's probably that little stretch of trees along St. Ronan St. (at the bottom of the hill behind the quad) on my walk to work. There's something incredibly peaceful and yet invigorating about that stretch of sidewalk for me; it helps me find my center as I begin each day. And the cherry blossoms in spring are breathtaking!

Q: What do you do when you're not directing the chapel music?
A: I wish I could give you a simple answer, other than "I live on I-91." I teach part-time at the Hartt School at the University of Hartford, I'm the assistant music director of the Hartford Chorale, I work at the Cathedral of St. Joseph in Hartford, and I frequently direct music for theater productions at Playhouse on Park in West Hartford; somewhere in the midst of all that I try to find time to write music. And I'm planning a wedding in November with my fianceé!
Congratulations! We're that at the very least, the music will be outstanding.

And now for the tough questions:
Q: Where do you go for pizza in New Haven, and what do you get?
A: It's kind of a "love the one you're with" situation for me and New Haven pizza, but my top pick is usually Modern. I love just about everything there, but my go-to choice is a pizza (sauce and all) with pepperoni, salami, and garlic.

Q: Aaaand since it's getting to the end of the summer and we could use a lil' boost - what's your favorite thing about Esther and Patrick?
A: How could I possibly choose just one thing? They're both fun-loving, outgoing people who truly care about this community. And they address just about every email with y'all. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Have a question or a comment for us? Feel free to post it here, or email us at BTFO2012@gmail.com!