Friday, July 6, 2012

Community Life Committee (CLC)

One of the most important parts of student life at YDS is the Community Life Committee, commonly referred to as the CLC. As the name implies, the CLC is responsible for supporting the life of the YDS community and serves as the hub of YDS student organizations. The CLC is headed by two co-coordinators and elected representatives from each class and degree program (watch for elections in early in September for the first-year MDiv and MAR representative for the CLC and other groups.) This year's co-coordinators are Brin Bon and Whitney Waller (the fact that both have alliterative initials is pretty awesome.)

Brin Bon
     
Whitney Waller


Q. Alright friends, who are you, what have you done with CLC in the past, and why did you want to take it on for next year?

BB. I'm a third year MDiv, a postulant for the priesthood in the Episcopal Church, a wife, and mother of three.  My family and I love a good party and have gone to just about every CLC organized event ever planned since we got here, so I thought I'd try my hand at being a coordinator.

WW. Last year I served as the 2nd year CLC rep, and I had such a great time that I wanted to have a more involved role in creating an facilitating community life events for next year.


Q. In the most thorough yet succinct way possible, what exactly is the Community Life Committee?

If you don't want to go to an event hosted
by Whitney in a moustache, you should check
your pulse because you might be dead.
WW. Essentially, we're a committee concerned with making community life as awesome as possible. And it really is as great as it sounds. We help encourage and fund student organizations, so that they can do interesting and fun programming throughout the year for their specific group and the entirety of YDS. Our committee also hosts events for all of YDS that provide either an opportunity to socialize and shake your groove thang (like Advent Party and Spring Fling) or a chance to engage and talk with one another outside the classroom (like All-School Conference).

BB. It's the "let's have a party or talk about that" committee for all of YDS.


Q. What is the best way for incoming students to get involved in clubs that interest them on campus?

BB. Come to the activity fair at BTFO to see who's doing what and be sure to read your Dale Mail to find out what's going on and who's planning it.

WW. It's a two step process: 1. You should come to the activities fair and see all the wonderful clubs and groups that are on our campus.  2. Attend meetings for the clubs and groups that interest you. It really is that simple. Everyone from every group will be so excited that you're interested in joining them!



Q. (In your opinions) What is the best part about being involved with CLC?
Brin in a moment of laughter in her kitchen


WW. I love being involved with CLC because it is my job to make sure people have fun. How is that not the best job description ever?

BB. Um, the parties.


Q. What was your favorite event this past year? Why? Was it because of Patrick's dancing? (For clarification, Esther wrote these questions; Patrick is not that egotistical, nor is his dancing that awesome.) (For more clarification, Patrick's dancing is pretty entertaining.)

BB. It was the Space Formal, and if it hadn't been for Patrick's dancing I just wouldn't have even come.

WW.  The Advent Party was the best ever (ever!) because all the planning we did was executed really well. There was something everyone could enjoy: lounge singers, a snazzy a Capella group, delicious food, yummy beverages, beautiful Christmas lights, Santa Claus, and dancing. And while Patrick's dancing was magnificent, precious little can compete with the awe one experiences watching Dale Peterson do the Cha Cha Slide and swing dance. Yes. That happened. More than once.


Q.  If you could see one big change to how community life was approached on campus next year from this past year, what would it be? How can the incoming class work be a part of that change? 
Brin and her freaking adorable children

WW. We are wanting to do an even better job of having events for students and their families. If you're a student who is coming with a spouse and/or children, let us know what kinds of events your family would like!

BB. More events for families!  The best way for this to happen is for students to bring their families with them to YDS events so we know there are folks with families who want to come.


Q. When you're not running CLC, what types of shenanigans do you get up to?

BB. Did I mention that I have three kids? Hahaha! I am also a major foodie, so I spend a lot of time cooking (I've been making jam and pickling everything I can fit in a pint-sized jar lately) and talking about food. Sometimes I even blog about it (gastromomica.com). If I'm not at school, I'm probably in my kitchen.
Whitney as a pretty princess (her words)

WW. I spend much of my time laughing with friends and being amazed by how cool they are, eating Miya's, and sometimes I manage to read for class.


Q. Now for the hard questions. What is your favorite place to get pizza in New Haven and what do you order? 

WW. Bar. Bar is where it's at, y'all (sorry for the Texas). Their pizza tastes like all New Haven apizza (floury, slightly burnt, and light on the cheese [which are actually things I like about pizza]). Personally, I am into a pizza plastered with vegetables, but many folks go wild for their mashed potato pizza. However, it should be known: I go to Bar for the salad. It is amazing. I dream about this salad sometimes. And am a little mad at Patrick and Esther making me think about it when going to get some isn't possible because Bar is currently closed and I am 1700 miles away.

BB. I like Modern, but I'm no pizza snob. I LOVE all thin-crust pizza, which is why we had to come to New Haven and why I can't ever do a PhD at the University of Chicago. I'm a vegetarian so I usually order the veggie pizza, which has spinach and broccoli on it. Yum!


Q. And most importantly, what is your favorite thing about Patrick and Esther?

BB. Their patience. Thanks! [It took Brin awhile to respond to us.]

WW. Unclear. I am really upset with them right now about the pizza thing. So, I would have to say my favorite thing about them is that they will be mailing me Bar salad and pizza as an apology, because they are that considerate, folks. [We aren't.]



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Have a question or a comment for us? Feel free to post it here, or email us at BTFO2012@gmail.com!